PACX IV support for 4.2 BSD

Charles LaBrec crl at pur-phy.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 08:14:05 AEST 1984

I am very interested in getting the source code for PACXMON, as we also
have a Gandalf, but I'd like to mention one solution we used, which
has a few other benefits.  In 2.9 BSD, getty was given something called
TEXAS_AUTOBAUD.  We took it, modified it (the one distributed couldn't
tell the difference between 300 and 1200), and put it into the VAX's
getty.  So now, our VAX autobauds to a CR (which the Gandalf provides).
Voila! No need to inquire for baud rates, at least, and also lets
300/1200/2400/4800 baud modems not need to use the stupid BREAK cycling.
And if the machine with the statistics port goes down, or if non-networked
machines want to use it, everything still works.

I do agree that allowing special action on certain terminals is
desirable and also being able to find out where someone is
logged in is nice, but this might be better placed in another program
and in finger.

Charles LaBrec
UUCP:		pur-ee!Physics:crl, purdue!Physics:crl
INTERNET:	crl @ pur-phy.UUCP