Help needed with SC750/eagle and panic when used for swapping.

Tom Gulvin Root tggsu at resonex.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 21:09:12 AEST 1984

>From a recent 'Popular Parallel Universe'...

(in italics, of course)
Say Smokey:
	I've got an '84 Digital VAX 750 with the standard RH750/RM80
powertrain. Seeking extra horse power, I added an aftermarket Fuji Eagle
turbocharger with an Emulex SC750 intercooler. I must say that this new
combination works well - I really like to drag conventional 750's at lights
(0-50 users is 4 seconds faster than stock!) and the unix handling package
has it all over flabby VMS on those twisty developement curves (but bumpy
management roads bounce me around alot). Now for the problem:
the turbo cuts out on really hard left turns! The boost ready light stays
on, but the boost guage (and the seat of my pants) says 'no boost' and
the car just dies. Sometimes it's hard to restart and I have to turn the
ignition key on and off several times. I have been to several different
dealers and they say either "they all do that after a while", "you aren't
using it right - it must be in your mind" or "don't make left turns". I
really would like to fix this problem.
			Doug "it's not my fault!" Robinson
			Cybermation, Cambridge, Taxichoozits.

Doug:
	I have had several VAXs in the shop for the same problem recently
and went round and round on this trying to figure it out. I tried everything:
diagnostics, turbo charger swaps, intercooler swaps, checking every cable for
continuity - I even tried duct tape and bubble gum - still no luck! All
the dealer mechanics said that some of the Eagles do this, but they
didn't have the slightest idea why ("We just hang the little number card from
the rear view mirror, make sure we move it to a different spot on the
lot and charge the customer $472.16, isn't that right Clem?") Sooooo,
I gave my friends at the Emulex factory a call and they say they never heard
of a problem like this; as far as they knew, the SC750 intercooler would work
with almost any turbo. Upon trying my Fuji contacts, I discovered that they
have had several service bulletins about this very problem! The one I've used
in the past is
ECO#22 on the drive's RFJAU board; you local service tech should be able
to install this for a nominal fee (free).

Boy, I wish they'd check all the engineering out before they ship a
product! I still say that the only one for me is
a 1965 IBM 360/40 with 2714 drives. Now there's a real system, with real
cabinets, real lights, real buttons, real hydraulic fluid in the disk drives!

	Tom Gulvin, Resonex Inc, Sunnyvale CA, 408-720-8600