Bourne shell scripts being started from /etc/rc

Kevin Smallwood kcs at CS-Mordred
Sat Oct 6 01:31:29 AEST 1984

Does anyone know of problems in starting a Bourne shell script "daemon"
from /etc/rc (or /etc/rc.local)?  We use a Bourne shell script to listen
to the status port of a Micom Port Selector and change location information
that finger uses (since terminal X may be connected to port Y one time and
port Z the next time).  When we start this up in /etc/rc.local, we get a
bunch of /tmp/sh<PID> files of zero length.  We are not using "<<", but we
do use pipes (technically, two programs are used to do two different things
with the status port information; we probably should combine this into one
program).  This seems to work if we give it a control terminal
(ie., < /dev/console).  Any thoughts that I am probably overlooking?
Thanks.
					Kevin Smallwood
					{ucbvax | decvax | inhp4}!purdue!kcs
					kcs at Purdue