V7 buffer cache question.

Jack Jansen jack at vu44.UUCP
Fri Oct 5 00:06:49 AEST 1984

I heard a rumour that someone in unix-land had hacked the
buffer allocation routines so that reading a large program
doesn't effectively flush your buffer cache, which is what happens
in a normal V7 (the oldest block is allocated every time something
is needed, so reading something big results in all your useful
buffers being re-used). I think it had something to do with
readahead buffers being allocated in a different way from norma
buffers.
 Is there anyone out there who knows of such a mod? Please send
me mail if you have it, or know of someone who does.

	Jack Jansen, {seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!vu44!jack
	or				       ...!vu44!htsa!jack