vnews problem

Michael Cooper mikec at reed.UUCP
Thu Oct 4 08:38:30 AEST 1984

[ Salt and eat this line. ]

I have encountered a bug in vnews when using a terminal without tabs.
Specifically, the hazeltine 1420.  The problem is that vnews just
scrambles the display on the 1420.  It prints more? on the first line
where it belongs and then about in the middle of the screen it prints
the name of the newsgroup minus the first few letters of the group.
It then prints the time near the lower right hand corner of the screen.
Again, minus the first characters.  From there it almost puts the 4 or
5 lines of the header in place.  Finally it positions the cursor on the
line that says (lines ???) at no paticular point on the line.  I have
been using this terminal and another one just like it for over a year
now with vi, rogue, etc. and have had no problems.  The termcap entry is
not part of the problem.  I can say this becuase I have spent quite a bit
of time playing with it.  It generally had no effect with the problem.
The 1420 does not have tabs, though.  This is the only thing I can think
of to account for the problem.  Has anyone out there had a similiar
problem with tabless terminals and vnews?  Any fixes will be greatly
appreciated.

					Michael Cooper

__________________
UUCP: