New "official" pathto service number

Marc Elvy elvy at harvard.ARPA
Tue Oct 2 18:57:02 AEST 1984

In order to solve the pathto port problem once and for all, we turned
to the numbers czar.  As of today, pathto is an officially recognized
TCP service, with its very own number which no one can take away.  For
all eternity, I think, the pathto service will be accessible through
TCP port 117 (decimal).  Please make this change to your services file
and to your shell scripts which telnet to harvard.arpa on that port.

In addition, RFC915 is in the process of being edited (sp?).  It should
be made public in the usual places within a few days.  This Request For
Comments describes the pathto plan, approach, and current implementations.

Naturally, I welcome any comments, critical or otherwise.

Marc

P.S.  I do not regularly read news, so please include me in any ensuing
      discussion through mail to elvy at harvard.arpa or elvy at harvard.uucp.
--
		      Marc A. Elvy  ( elvy at harvard.{arpa,uucp} )
			     Aiken Computation Laboratory