Help wanted -- College course in C

Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Mon Oct 15 18:35:00 AEST 1984

From:   Paul Schauble <Schauble at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

I have been asked to help design two courses in C programming for a
local community college.  I would like to gather opinions and
suggestions from the net for them.

These courses will be part of a two year associate degree in Electronics
and Computer Science.  The two courses are

  Introduction to C

    This course will be required for the degree and will be the first
    programming course in the program. This should establish a
    groundwork in programming that will support later courses, mostly in
    assembly language for microcomputers. It will replace a course in
    BASIC.

  Advanced C programming

    This will be an elective and will have the above course as a
    requirement. It is intended to train someone who can take an entry
    level position as a C coder.

I would like any suggestions that people may have for topics to be
included in either course, suggestions for textbooks, etc.

I would especially like information about similar courses at other
colleges and universities.  Please at least let me know what text they
are using.  If possible, I would like to obtain a copy of the syllabus
or instructors guide or to get a phone number for someone teaching it.

I don't expect that the list as a whole will be interested in this.  I
will send a copy of the finished course descriptions to anyone who sends
me a U.S.Snail address.

                               Thanks for any information,
                               Paul Schauble
                               Schauble at MIT-Multics