Second UBA blues

sventek at LBL.ARPA sventek at LBL.ARPA
Thu Oct 11 18:20:30 AEST 1984

We just installed a second UBA on our 11/780 which used to run 4.2.  After
completing the installation, complete with checks that the new hardware
was working correctly, we modified our configuration file to reflect our
new addition, and built a new kernel.  During boot, the system successfully
finds uba0 and all of the devices specified there, and announces that it
has found uba1.  unfortunately, as soon as it tries to access the devices
on uba1 (via their probe routines), the system crashes.

Another twist to this situation is that the generic kernel boots successfully,
finds both uba0 and uba1, and even autoconfigures devices found on the second
uba.  We found that if we did not specify the csr and vector addresses for
devices on uba1, we could not even successfully build the new kernel.
Needless to say, we are somewhat confounded by this situation, and need to
bring the system up ASAP.

I scanned the archives of unix-wizards from the last couple of years, and
the only entries which I could find with regards to a second UBA concerned
special kernel mods necessary to make it work on 750's.  If someone has
seen problems similar to ours, could you please let me know how you
resolved it?  please respond directly to me, as the machine which is
down is our exploder for unix-wizards.  I will also summarize to the
mailing list after we have determined what is going on.

                     Joe Sventek	<sventek at lbl.arpa>
					ucbvax!sventek%ucbernie

P.S. Sorry that I cannot give you the exact error message when the
     kernel crashes, but I am sending this from home, with the console
     listings still sitting on the decwriter.