TOC for Microsystems, Oct-84 (volume 5 issue 10)

John Rogers jr at foros1.UUCP
Mon Oct 22 15:47:31 AEST 1984

TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR Microsystems, Oct-84 (volume 5 number 10)

[NOTE:  This article is being posted to net.unix-wizards because I
think this issue of Microsystems will interest lots of people.  Read
on!]

[NOTE 2:  I've heard that Microsystems is going defunct.  I dunno.
This issue arrived in the mail a few weeks ago, like always, so it's
probably available in the store too.]

ARTICLES:	"The Worlds of UNIX", by Mark Rollins

		"The Evolution of the UNIX Timesharing System", by
		Dennis Ritchie [Dennis who? :-)  This is a reprint of an
		article from the Symposium on Language Design and
		Programming Methodology in 1979, I think.  It's *very*
		interesting.]

		"A Conversation with [Dennis] Ritchie and [Ken]
		Thompson" [an interview done in August, which talks
		about the split between the research and development
		groups at Bell Labs.  Good reading, although it doesn't
		have too much meat.  No details about the 8th Edition;
		oh, well...]

		"UNIX System V on the Miniframe", by John Malpas and
		Kathy O'Leary

		"IBM PC/IX", by Peter Brooks

		"The UNIX Experience", by Ron Gumbach

		"The C Power Packs from Novum Organum", by Chris Howlett

		"X.25 Communications Protocol", by Eric L. Beser

		"Printer Networking with TurboDOS", by Tedd Kurts

COLUMNS:	"The UNIX File", by Ian Darwin [Reviews "A Practical
		Guide to the UNIX System", complains about too many
		introductory books on UNIX.]

		[Other columns omitted as being too boring.]

				Happy hacking!
--
				JR (John Rogers)
				...ihnp4!fortune!foros1!jr