#2 pencil replies

lindy at SU-SHASTA.ARPA lindy at SU-SHASTA.ARPA
Mon Oct 22 17:07:10 AEST 1984

From:  olympus!lindy (John Lindquist) <olympus!lindy at SU-SHASTA.ARPA>

#2 pencil respondents,
	Thank you for answering the 2 questions I sent out.  Out
	of the "billions and billions of ..." [sic] people out
	there, I got 10 responses.

	At first glance through the replies, It appears that each one
	of you who responded have absolutely no common ground.  However,
	taking a closer look, there is quite a lot of common ground for
	the answers to question #1.  Answers to question #2 wax and wane
	a bit more philosophical.

	The general consensus for `What Berkeley tty modes do you use'
	seems to be for `new' and `crt'.  That gives the following
	settings:
		use			Use the new tty driver.
		crt	crtbs		echo backspaces on erase chars
			ctlecho		Echo control characters as `^x'.
					Print 2 backspaces following the
					EOT character.
			crterase	Wipe out erased characters as
					backspace-space-backspace.
			crtkill		Wipe out input on a line kill ala
					crterase.

	The general consensus for 'Why have Job Control if you have
	windows....' is best represented by the following paragraph:

		Windows allow you to change the context you are
		working in.  Job control allows you to manipulate
		the processes in the current context.

	Yes, a bit of an over simplification but it is the essence.
	However, back to reality, everyone had problems with windows
	because they seem to be such a resource drain.

	My complements to the winner of the DUMB SHIT reply award:
		'F**K ttys!!!!!'

	Thanks again,
		-lindy

		John Lindquist (Silicon Graphics Inc.)