TRS-80 Model 16 uucp - need help

Don Barstow dhb at masscomp.UUCP
Mon Oct 29 12:17:18 AEST 1984

-----------------------

I have a friend running Xenix on a TRS-80 MOdel 16
who is trying to establish a uucp link to the uucp
network so we can send mail to each other.  The
company that has agreed to be his link is running 4.2
on a VAX.

After lots of work, we have it to the point where his
machine will call and establish a link to the other machine,
but then uucico just dies.  I had him run uucico with "-x9"
to see the debugging info.  It got through establishing that
his end was master, the protocol used was the "g" protocol,
and got to where his uucico was going to send a mail message
file to the other end.  The last several lines of output were

	work type S file number 5
	wmsg S D.xxxxx D.xxxxx
	send 210
	remsg

Almost immediately after this, he got his shell prompt back.
(the xxxxx stands for the company name of his link)

Some added info - his STST file said TALKING, both LCK files
were still in his spool directory, and his LOGFILE said
"call to ... succeeded".  Also, the LOGFILE at the other
end said "caught signal 1".

He also made sure that his modem would not disconnect if the
Model 16 dropped DTR, or if he received "space" from the
remote modem.  In fact, his modem continued to hang onto
the phone line after both uucico's had quit.

I am baffled.  Any idea as to what could be going on here?
I have been looking at our sources, but I am sure we run a
different version, and I don't even know what version Radio
Shack supports on the Model 16.  Any help would be appreciated.
Please mail responses back to me.

Don Barstow		...{ihnp4, allegra}!masscomp!dhb

Masscomp, Inc.  	(617) 692-6200, ext. 444
One Technology Park
Westford, Mass. 01886