Bourne shell invocation resolved (sort of)

ded at aplvax.UUCP ded at aplvax.UUCP
Thu Sep 13 22:53:52 AEST 1984

Thanks to Mike Baldwin (yes, I do remember you), et al, who responded to
my question concerning invocation of the Bourne shell.  This was the
first (and hopefully last) time I ever encountered use of a command as one of
the arguments.  For anyone who is curious, in order to invoke sh
so that it automatically reads commands from the file ".profile", the
first character of the command name must be a '-'.
So I can do a "ln /bin/sh -sh" and be on my merry way.  Well, sort of.
Curiously enough, this only works when I am already in my home directory
or have a copy of .profile in my current directory.  In other words, "-sh"
won't search anywhere other than the current directory for a file named
".profile" (which ain't as advertised).
--

					Don Davis
					JHU/APL