CDC 9715-500 drive on 4.2 yet?

Tom Gulvin Root tggsu at resonex.UUCP
Sat Sep 29 11:37:51 AEST 1984

--------------possible reposting--------------
We are looking to add 1 - 2 gigabytes to our vax-11/750 under 4.2. The
obvious choice is a Fujitsu Eagle 9751 but we  can get a good price on
some CDC 9715-500 500 megabyte drives. They certainly look neat - 1/2
the size and power of an eagle, slightly more storage, a little slower
(oh well) and (most of all) cheaper than an eagle. We run Emulex SC750's
on eagles right now and would/could dedicate a controller for the new drives.

The specific questions that I have are:
	- hacks to the driver to identify the new drive and handle its
	  addressing (along with tuned parameters, hopefully).
	- a format program (or mods to the distributed one). How about
	  a really useful hack that allows on-line formatting (e.g.,
	  special 'format' ioctl calls to the driver).
	- operational experience. This should not be limited to unix only-
	  anybody that uses this drive family may have something to say
	  about this.

	Tom Gulvin - Resonex, Inc. - Sunnyvale, CA.
	(408)-720-8600