Ethernet Controllers/DEUNA/IF11

Milo Medin medin at ucbvax.ARPA
Mon Sep 24 04:27:42 AEST 1984

Dont use the DEUNA!!  Sure, its a fast board, and there are good
drivers for it, but the sucker takes 15 amps of the +5 unibus
power supply!  You can literally cook your dinner on the board.
This greatly decreases the power availiable for other stuff like
muxes and disk controllers, etc...  I recommend the interlan
board.  Its a good well made reliable board at a good price.  I
had to cancel an order of DEUNA's for some vaxen here at NASA
because they needed more power than was available on the systems.
By the way, I had a good look at one a week ago, and the board
is built out of standard TTL.  Who uses standard TTL anymore?
Also, beware of the DEC salespeople, the guy who tried to
sell us the boards didnt realize their power consumption and
designed a system that overran unibus power by 10 AMPS.  When
I showed him the stats for the boards, he recommended we not
buy DEC...

					Milo