time servers

rpw3 at redwood.UUCP rpw3 at redwood.UUCP
Thu Sep 13 19:10:19 AEST 1984

Although there was some talk about discontinuing it (due to local abuse),
for long-distance users at least, the following number in Boulder, CO,
(NOT toll-free) gets you the WWV baseband signal (beeps, clicks, time
announcements on the minute, etc.):

		(303)499-7111

As far as I know, this is exactly the same as what goes out over the air.
Do NOT try to use this for precision work, as your long-distance call
may be delayed several milliseconds; it seems fine for checking your local
phone company time number for being "right on" or "sloppy". (The Pacific
Bell number(s) in the Bay Area [767-xxxx, also known as "POPCORN"] seem
to be "right on".)

Note that there is a published standard for how to decode these things
automatically (I saw a version in an Electronic Engineering Handbook).
Little things like the "tick" on the 59th second being delayed (the "ticks"
are really 5 cycles of a 5000 Hertz tone), etc. I suppose NBS would send
you an "official" one if you asked.

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)369-7437
Envoy:	rob.warnock/kingfisher
USPS:	Suite 203, 4012 Farm Hill Blvd, Redwood City, CA  94061