4.2 BSD Disk Quotas -- What are your experiences with it?

Dave Cohrs dave at uwvax.UUCP
Sun Sep 30 01:47:17 AEST 1984

> I am considering beginning to run the disk quota software.
> If you have used it, please let me know how well it worked.
> Were there bugs which needed fixing?  Do you have the
> fixes?  Etc?
> --
> 	-- Art Zemon
> 	   FileNet Corp.
> 	   ...! {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !trwrb!felix!zemon

The disk quotas work pretty well.  We use them here on our instructional
systems.  I don't remember any bug fixes, but I do know of one bug...
If you update a disk quota for a person who is logged in (or has a process
running with his/her uid) the machine will crash with a panic in the
quota routines.  So, generally, set quotas when the machine is in single.
If you change them while it is up multiuser (new users is an exception,
chances of them being logged in is minimal) you can crash things.

--
Dave Cohrs @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!dave
dave at wisc-rsch.arpa