why insist on teco-like languages ??

Ozan Yigit oz at yetti.UUCP
Fri Apr 12 04:10:07 AEST 1985

[munch.. burp!!]

Having had my shares of hacking through sendmail
configuration files, I cannot halp but feel flabbergasted
about the insistance of creating languages that resemble
teco, or a psychdelic assembler language. There is absolutely
*no* reason for the sendmail configuration language to be as
unreadable as it is. It hurts my eyes to even look at it..
Is this supposed to be more efficient, humanly or otherwise ??
Is this supposed to be easier to implement ?? I do not think
so. (perhaps I am mistaken.. maybe we should re-write C to look
like this :-))
Having hacked thru APL during my freshman years, I though that
I was capable of handling such cryptic languages.. Alas, I was
mistaken. As wizdom suggests: "There is always worse".
Just add up the time all 4.2 users spent mulling though
this *thing*, and translate it to man-months. It probably is a
staggering number. God.. I get stomach cramps just thinking
about the next time I will have to change something in my
configuration files..

Cybercrud: (sy-ber-) 1. The science of communication and control
of unnecessary complexity and outdated ideas. 2. Computer by-products
and left-overs.

Oz	(wizard of something or another, no doubt..)

	usenet: {ihnp4 | allegra | decvax | ..}!utzoo!yetti!oz
	bitnet: oz at yuleo