Quelling Filesystem Activity

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Apr 30 15:09:41 AEST 1985

> Here's what I need:  I want a utility that will aid me in quelling
> filesystem activity so that I can unmount it.  The approach is to
> examine /dev/kmem to identify pids of processes that have open files
> in that filesystem, kill them, and unmount the fs.
>
> Does anyone have such a utility...

If you have access to System V source, try the "fuser" utility.  It "Lists
the process IDs of the processes using the files specified as arguments.
For block special devices, all processes using any file on that device are
listed."  The "-k" flag sends SIGKILL to those processes.  It's not too hard
to modify to work on systems other than System V.

	Guy Harris