Quelling Filesystem Activity

Greg McGary gm at kontron.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 08:03:21 AEST 1985

Here's the problem:  I want to dump a filesystem while running
multi-user.  I specifically *do*not* want to dump an active filesystem,
so I must be able to unmount it while it is potentially active.

Here's what I need:  I want a utility that will aid me in quelling
filesystem activity so that I can unmount it.  The approach is to
examine /dev/kmem to identify pids of processes that have open files
in that filesystem, kill them, and unmount the fs.

Does anyone have such a utility that they are willing to post, or
another approach to taking clean dumps of a filesystem without having
to go down to single-user?  If no one has one, I'll write it myself and
post it to net.sources.

Thanx,

Greg McGary

		{unisoft,felix,scgvaxd,trwrb}!pertec!kontron!gm