11/785 FPA problems

hammond at petrus.UUCP hammond at petrus.UUCP
Tue Apr 23 22:58:45 AEST 1985

While doing benchmarks on floating point performance, I noticed that our
11/785 with FPA took several times as long as an 11/750 w/FPA to do
double multiplies.  Our DEC salesman claims that the 11/785 FPA has
a microcode bug in the multiply and that the machine is wired to ignore
the FPA for multiply.  I think he claimed that there should be an ECO
out for this (new microcode).  If you have an 11/785 with FPA, check
by multiplying two non zero numbers (try 1234567.8 *  10) a million
times.  If you have the bug it willl take about 20 seconds (i.e. 20
micro seconds per loop), with a fixed FPA it should take 5 to 10 seconds
(our 11/750 takes 7.7).
Rich Hammond	{allegra | decvax | ucbvax}!bellcore!hammond