I propose a unix wishlist newsgroup

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Thu Apr 11 17:19:44 AEST 1985

> It's time for something new.  I want to create a newsgroup
> "net.nextbsd" where we can make constructive suggestions for
> improvements, cleanups, rewrites, and new features that we
> wish would come out in the next bsd.  I hope Sys5-ers will
> form their own parallel news group, and I hope even more that
> someone from AT&T will listen to it and do the right things,
> as I expect Berkeley will with our group.

I hope that two parallel news groups are *not* formed; the continuation
of two parallel streams of UNIX development which preserve all the annoying
little differences between what BTL Research and the PWB/USG/USDL people
did is as aggravating as the reappearance of old bugs.  It's time
we purged the "#ifdef USG" (or USDL or SYSV) from our code (as well as
the "#ifdef BSD4_2"); it'd be nice if there was some basic set of
capabilities (such as what's described in the System V Interface Definition)
that works on *all* UNIX systems (with no exceptions).

	Guy Harris
	sun!guy