gcore and adb

Michael McKenna mckenna at HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA
Wed Mar 6 08:37:02 AEST 1985

I have a problem with gcore and adb.  Maybe you can help me.
I first create a file called test.c having these contents:

main()
{
  int	i;

  for (i = 0 ;;) {
    sleep(2);
    printf("%d\n", i++);
  }
}

Then I compile it by typing in

"cc -O -o test test.c".

Then I type

"test &".

So the numbers 0,1,2,... show up on my terminal.
Then I "kill -STOP pid" and "gcore pid".
Now if I "adb test core.pid", I should be able to continue
the process within adb with ":c19".  However, I get the response
"no process".  What am I doing wrong?  Also, can I put the job
back into the background?

I want to figure this out because
I want an easy way to store the state of a long-running background
job when the system is brought down for any reason.