VAX clustering and U{n,ltr}ix

Eric W. Kiebler eric at plus5.UUCP
Tue Mar 12 09:14:21 AEST 1985

> > > It [...] appears DEC no longer sells the documentation necessary for
> > > writing drivers for these things [CI/SC008/HSC50].
> >
> > If this is true (the "appears" alleviates the scare somewhat), then I
> > think DEC is making a Big Mistake.  I like DEC equipment partly because
> > I have these little manuals I can flip through.  It's hard to have too
> > much documentation [though VMS perhaps succeeds here :-)].  The best
> > argument I can give for my opinion is "if we don't know enough about it,
> > we aren't going to buy it".
> >
> > Are you listening, DEC?
>
> Another "unavailable" manual is the UDA50 Programmer's Kit -- makes it
> impossible to interpret the MSCP packet dumps that the 4.2 UDA driver
> is fond of spitting out on the console.  Our field service rep has agreed
> to accidently leave one at our site.
> --
> --peter gross
> UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag
> CSNET:	pag at ncar.csnet
> ARPA:	pag%ncar at csnet-relay.arpa

These folks are right.  I just spent a bunch of customer's money on my time
because:

	1) The ULTRIX-11 driver protoype code was wrong
	2) DEC said "So pay $270/month software maintenance for a $10K Machine"
	3) The damn rq controller doesn't pass bus grant through, and has to
	   be the last board on the q-bus.
	4) DEC OEM said "Oh Gee, we don't know anything about that. If you
	   find out let us know, okay?"

They are a university site, and if they had been aware of a 2.9 driver for
the MSCP disks on the MIcro-11, they would have switched right then and there.

So, if anyone knows of such a driver, would they send me a pointer please?
Thanks!

Cheers,
eric

--