Expire With Accelerated Expiration?

Harald Striepe harald at orphan.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 06:31:48 AEST 1985

We are running news v.2.10.2 on a small MicroVax I under Ultrix 32m.

As you can well imagine, disk space is at a premium. I have tried
to use expire with the -e option as well as -e and -i to trim
certain news groups by acclerating the expiration dates. But the
files just hang around.

I finally resorted to brute force deletion of the junk category,
and hacking the active file to limit the number of allowed groups
(until we get a machine with larger disks).

Is expire supposed to delete expired messages? After my brute action
a lot of links are going to be dangling, will this abort expire?

I have worked with the verbose debugging mode, but no real information
about what the system is doing is displayed (except for news groups
being collated and missing links).

I do not have the time to trace the sources, can somebody feed me the line?

--
					Harald Striepe
					DEC Western Region TBU