The Programmer's Keyboard

Bjorn Eriksen ber at enea.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 08:33:23 AEST 1985

I'm just about to do a major (?) modification to the tty driver.
The problem is to find an acceptable keyboard for programmers.
The keyboards nowadays available, especially here in Sweden, has
a lot of characters spread out where you don't want them. For a
Unix user it's a great advantage to have characters as

	/ | ' * ` { }

and perhaps some others as lower case characters. You don't want
to do SHIFT-7 to get a /, do you?
The idea is to introduce a general mapping of the keyboard just
as you can say

		stty erase ^H

one should be able to map the whole keyboard. Even if there is no
need to map A to B or whatever it's probably easier to make it
general than handle just special cases.

If anyone have done this before, has any hints of problems to watch
out for or any coments whatsoever, I would be interested to hear from
you, I love mail.

--
	Bjorn Eriksen
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!{mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!ber
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!ber at berkeley.arpa
		mcvax!enea!ber at seismo.arpa