software contracts and licensing - course for wizards

Mike Tilson mike at hcradm.UUCP
Fri Mar 22 10:48:14 AEST 1985

During the recent discussions in this group about protection of
intellectual property, software licensing, ethics, etc., I promised
to post an announcement of a tutorial on the legal aspects of the
subject.  Here it is.  The full Usenix tutorial program has been
posted to net.unix and net.usenix.  For further details see the
net.usenix posting and/or call:

	Usenix Conference Office
	P.O. Box 385, Sunset Beach, CA  90742
	213-592-3243

Don't call me please.  Any followup on the Usenix tutorial program
should go to net.usenix.  The preliminary course description follows.
The course will be held June 11, 1985 in Portland, Oregon.  I've taken
this course myself, and I found it very useful (and even sometimes
entertaining.)

4.   Software Contracts and Intellectual Property

     Instructors:    Susan Nycum
                     James Marcellino
                     Gaston Snow & Ely Bartlett

     Software is intangible and reproducible at will, and yet it
     has high value.  Users and vendors of commercial software
     need to understand their rights and obligations with respect
     to software contracts and license agreements.  Many
     technical people do not understand the legal basis for
     protecting intellectual property such as computer programs.
     This day long seminar covers the legal aspects of software
     contracts and license agreements, proprietary rights, the
     various ways software can be protected and how to make the
     choice.  International aspects will also be covered.  The
     material learned will be applied to the AT&T UNIX license
     agreement as a case study.  There will be time for questions
     and answers throughout.  No legal knowledge is assumed; this
     course is an excellent opportunity for technical people and
     managers to broaden their horizons in this important area.

     Both Susan Nycum and James Marcellino are practicing lawyers
     and recognized international experts in this area.  They
     have taught this course for Usenix before, and it was very
     well received.  Susan Nycum also presented a talk at the
     Winter '85 Usenix meeting.  Most importantly, they both
     speak English rather than legalese.

/Mike Tilson, Human Computing Resources Corp.
/ Usenix Tutorial Coordinator		{utzoo,decvax}!hcr!hcradm!mike