Off-loading processes to an idle machine

Mark Weiser mark at tove.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 11:08:04 AEST 1985

In article <5714 at ucbvax.ARPA> dcmartin at ucbvax.UUCP (David C. Martin) writes:
>In article <248 at unc.UUCP> menges at unc.UUCP (John Menges) writes:
>>I'm studying the problem of attempting to off-load
>>non-interactive processes from one machine intended
>>to be used primarily for interactive work for many
>>users to another machine intended to run non-interactive jobs.

We do this routinely at Maryland for troff's.  When the load goes
above a certain level all troff's on the high load machine are shipped
for remote execution to one of several machines (depending on which is up).
Generally, the users don't know the difference.  Steve at Maryland,
who wrote most of the code, can say more.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark at maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark