Is this a pipe, fstat(), and seeking

jbn at wdl1.UUCP jbn at wdl1.UUCP
Tue Mar 5 14:24:28 AEST 1985

     A new device for implementing login security has just been introduced by
Gordian System, Inc.  (3512 West Bayshore Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303,
415-494-8414).  They offer an IFF (identify-friend-foe) type device.  This
is not a new idea, but Gordian is the first to build a really cheap one.  They
make a gadget about the size and shape of a domino, which contains a 6 digit
LCD display, a photocell, a microprocessor, and a battery.  When logging in,
the user gets the message ``Hold your key up to the flashing area below
until the key continuously displays a password''.  The key READS BAR CODE
from the user's terminal, runs the data through an algorithm in the user's
hand-held key device, and displays a number.  The user types in the number
and if the number is accepted is then logged in.
     This thing is about $50 in quantity 100, and drops to $10 or so in large
(thousands) quantities.  For $15,000, you get 100 keys, a ``key-cutting''
machine, host software (in source form) and technical assistance setting the
security system up.  No extra charge for multiple hosts using the same host
software; they make their money on the keys.
     I haven't actually seen this yet, but the salesman wants to come over
and show it to me.  I don't know how good the algorithms are from a security
standpoint, but the basic concept is sound in theory.

					John Nagle