terminals that need LCASE

William LeFebvre phil at rice.ARPA
Wed Mar 13 10:38:13 AEST 1985

Yes, there really are crt terminals that need LCASE mode.  And there
are still people who have to use them.  I own a Hazeltine 1400, which
only displays things in upper case.  If it receives lower case
characters, it will map them to upper case before displaying them.
Sending lower case is a bit more involved and very difficult and not
worth the pain.  I cannot yet afford to replace this terminal, and
there are a few times when I desparately need to use it.  It is times
like those that I am very glad LCASE exists.

Also, the old H-9 crt terminal from Heathkit (they don't sell it
anymore) doesn't cope at all with lower case.  It is unfortunate that
such terminals were ever manufactured and even more unfortunate that
they still exist, but LCASE really does need to be around to support
them.  Besides, it doesn't get in the way if you don't want it to.

To top it all off, I imagine that there are some poor souls out there
that still use ASR-33 (or similar) hardcopy terminals.

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University
                                <phil at Rice.arpa>