UUCP & Ethics

Ron Natalie ron at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Wed Mar 6 05:35:24 AEST 1985

What I expect, some one else was trying to say (Farber?) was that UNIX
algorithms, probably wouldn't hold up to the trade secret test.  They
were really innovative several years ago, but whole books have been
published on operating system ideas such as those in UNIX.  HOW UNIX
works is not a secret.  I would expect that while a court test would
protect AT&T's source, the algorithms would not hold up.  Even IBM
(which only copyrights their code) does not discourage the theft of
their algorithms.

-Ron