Off-loading processes to an idle machine

David C. Martin dcmartin at ucbvax.ARPA
Sat Mar 23 15:37:31 AEST 1985

In article <248 at unc.UUCP> menges at unc.UUCP (John Menges) writes:
>I'm studying the problem of attempting to off-load
>non-interactive processes from one machine intended
>to be used primarily for interactive work for many
>users to another machine intended to run non-interactive
>tasks.  (Both machines are VAX/780s running 4.2bsd)
>I'm interested in any work that has been done in this
>area.  In particular, I would like to find or write
>software to enable the transfer of files to the backend
>machine, execution of a command script there, and
>transfer of files back to the interactive machine,
>without it being necessary for the user to have a login
>on the backend machine.  Less general software that
>performs this task for specific commands (e.g. troff)
>would also be helpful.

Here at Berkeley we are running some code that sends remote Pascal and
C compilations to idle 750's via the ethernet.  So far we have found
that the five 11/750's being used a process servers have not had
their performance markedly decreased, while the loads on the senders
has remarkably decreased (from an average of about 9-10 to about 3-4).
If you would like, mail me and I will see about getting you a copy of
the research proposal and reports.

David C. Martin
--------
Computer Systems Support Group
arpa: dcmartin at berkeley                       usps: 237 Cory Hall
uucp: ..!ucbvax!dcmartin                            Berkeley, CA 94720
at&t: 415/642-9489