RFS - losing disk free space count

Shawn F. Mckay shawn at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 27 16:36:46 AEST 1986

I have a strange problem, running BSD 4.3. I have RFS installed in the
kernel, and it seems to run fine on an adjacent machine. (Other machine
runs Ultrix V1.1). The 4.3 machine runs on a 750 vax, with the RVD code
compiled into it, but no RFS code. (The rvd code sits idle). It also has
COMPAT compiled into it.

I wanted to test a new kernel out, (make a clean kernel work before hacking),
and did the generic config, make depend, and them make vmunix. I did the
make vmunix at a nice of -20. When the whole thing started I had about
600 blocks free on /dev/ra0a. (My root partition). But I soon got messages
saying I was out of space. In fact, doing a df show'd me being at 102%, 0
free.

I figured I must have tossed in the wrong kernel, so I halted, and came
up on a known good kernel, and did a df. Same results, so I ran fsck, and
it said I had 616 free blocks. (Although df still says I have no space).

I can copy /vmunix into /vmunix.junk without problem, so the kernel agrees
with fsck. It would seem that the actual count of free blocks, and the count
kept in the super block are different, I ran icheck -s in hopes of correcting
this, but to no avail.

Somehow I think fsck should pick up on the problem I am having, but it's not.
In any case, I would like to know if by chance anyone out there has had this
problem before, and might be able to lend some information my way. An idea on
how to re-sync the superblock free count, and the real free count would also
be welcome.

Also, RFS doesn't document very well why it is affraid of being run with
'COMPAT', so I have to ask, does anyone know the reason behind this? Could
this be behind my problem?

Also, while we are talking about RFS, on the 4.3 machine when it works ok,
I cannot seem to get it to let me setuid to my user id on the 4.3 system
from the remote site. The 4.3 system prints all kinds of interrupted system
call messages in the rfs_log file, and loggs me as guest... Anyone run into
this before?

			Thanks for any help,
			  -- Shawn