shared modem support on Ultrix 1.2

David Schmidt davids at iscuva.UUCP
Wed Dec 24 10:30:35 AEST 1986

In article <1148 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>
	grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>To make a long story shorter, running strings on uucico revealed
>that it already contains internal support for hayes, hayesq, DF02,
>DF03, DF112, ventel and vadic modems!  I assume hayesq is hayes,
>but with the speaker turned off.

>Well, the hayes selection worked like a charm, even in shared mode!
>The modems were set up pretty much as normal, with controlled DTR
>and real carrier detect.  People using DMF32's with the hardware CD
>interlock might need to select carrier detect always on, and lose
>the ability to detect a line drop.

This still doesn't allow you to use tip on the shared lines (or with
the Hayes at all for that matter).  I wish DEC would come up with an
ACU format that would work with the Hayes!  Our Convergent Technologies
Mightyframe has a termcap-like "modemcap" file which is MUCH more
versatile than DEC's ACUCAP.

If anyone knows how to get the Hayes modems to work with tip under
Ultrix 1.2 please let me know (or post to the net as I've seen others
with this problem).

BTW: I've been using shared mode with uucico's built in Hayes code
for about 3 months now and it works great!  I don't need to dedicate
my modems for incomming or outgoing!
--
David Schmidt          UUCP:  ihnp4!tektronix!reed!iscuva!davids
ISC Systems Corp.      Phone: (509)927-5479