console process getting killed

Paul Marsh marsh at umt.UUCP
Tue Dec 9 11:08:59 AEST 1986

We are running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 11/785, and noticed the following
problem after the system came up from a segmentation fault crash.
Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
at random intervals.  A clean system reload was our first attempt to
solve the problem, but that failed to change the situation.  After
watching its behavior, it appears to occur each time someone logs-out.
This leads me to think that "init" might be the culprit.  It puzzles
me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
configuring a local area network.  Is there something related here?
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

UUCP :	... ! ucdavis ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center
	    			Missoula, MT	59812
phone :				(406) 243-5455