console process getting killed

brett at wjvax.UUCP brett at wjvax.UUCP
Fri Dec 12 06:00:15 AEST 1986

In article <605 at umt.UUCP> marsh at umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
>We are running Ultrix 1.2 on a VAX 11/785, and noticed the following
>problem after the system came up from a segmentation fault crash.
>Any process associated with the console terminal was being terminated
>at random intervals.  A clean system reload was our first attempt to
>solve the problem, but that failed to change the situation.  After
>watching its behavior, it appears to occur each time someone logs-out.
>This leads me to think that "init" might be the culprit.  It puzzles
>me as to why this would problem would just startup the time it did.
>To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being done on a systems
>level, is that we were running the "/etc/netsetup" script, which
>modifies /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, and /etc/hosts.equiv files, for
>configuring a local area network.  Is there something related here?
>Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I am having a similar problem right now with 4.2BSD from Integrated
Solutions.  The line printer daemon for some reason attaches itself to
the console, and then gets hung up whenever getty starts up upon the
console (such as right after boot -- thus, lpd dies almost immediately).
I don't know why lpd is attaching itself to the console, but in your
case, could it be that things are dieing upon logout from the
console?

Let me know what you find out.