A possible network bug in Sun unix?

Gene Rackow rackow at anl-mcs.arpa
Thu Dec 18 13:32:35 AEST 1986

We have the same problem on our network.  The work-around that I have found
that works is-
      1.  for the sun do a "rlogin machine &"
                 and while that is timing out
      2.  do another "rlogin machine"
                  this one will now get into the remote machine
      3.  do a "who" on machine to find who is the ghost user on hostb
      4.  kill the login shell of the ghost user.
>From here, until the next crash, rlogins work properly.

I have heard rumors that this problem is corrected in 4.3bsd and/or Sun 3.2.
Can anyone confirm/deny this rumor?

Gene Rackow              rackow at anl-mcs.arpa
312-972-7126