Fujitsu 2361's, SC7003's, 4.3BSD

jc at piaget.UUCP jc at piaget.UUCP
Wed Dec 10 08:40:46 AEST 1986

In article <6387 at allegra.UUCP> mp at allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
->We'd like to put Fujitsu 2361 super-eagles on our VAX 8650's.  The
->company selling and installing them would like us to use Emulex
->SC7003 controllers, since we can use them first on a little-used 750 to
->format the drives and then on the 8650's.
->		...
->Also, everyone we've talked to thinks there's a limit of 2 Emulex
->massbus controllers per system, and a practical limit of 4 drives per
->controller.  If this is true, what should we do when we need to
->expand?  Use other vendors' massbus controllers, or add some unibus
->controllers?  (for the latter, we know that UDA50's and RA81's exist -
->in fact, they're the reason we're switching to Emulex/Fujitsu.)
->

Using Emulex V-Master systems you can have exactly twice the
number of _Mass_Busses_ allowed by DEC in the same physical
space.  As I recall the configuration of the 8650, Emulex hangs a
half width cabinet onto the system which holds up to 2 V-Masters.
Each V-Master holds 2 controllers.  Each controller holds 4
drives.  Consequently the maximum number of drives would be 16
for an insignificant 9.6 Gigabytes of on line storage.

Concerning the mapping for the 2361, may I suggest that you write
down the configuration you would like to have and call Emulex
customer service.  They will tell you how to get the non standard
emulation.  It costs somewhere between $75 and $150 and your
local Emulex reseller will probably mark it up.  Even at that,
it's  cheap at twice the price if you can get what you want.  All
they do is burn a new configuration prom (which you may then
order on all subsequent controllers).  The only caveat I can
think of is if there is some buffer size or register limitation
on the number of sectors per cylinder.

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)