Sun 3.0, Text: table is full

sow at luthcad.UUCP sow at luthcad.UUCP
Sun Dec 7 22:49:38 AEST 1986

In article <1698 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> flanagan at batcomputer.UUCP writes:

>O.K.  I give up. What the heck does "Text: table is full" mean?
>
>The message is triggered by the initiation of a process, which
>is aborted immediately, whether it be a "man" or a shell or whatever.
>Rebooting the machine will make the problem go away for a while, but
>it eventually comes back. Killing off processes and reducing the
>machines load doesn't always seem to help either. Acutually, the
>machines load average is usually fairly low. Shutting down suntools
>and reducing memory requirements doesn't seem to help either.

I got the same problem when I installed MH on my machine.
I think that you have some programs with the save text bit set
(chmod +t), this mode saves the text segment so it will not help to
kill some processes. The solution is to do a chmod -t on "all" files,
and then reeboot the system.

Sven-Ove Westberg
UUCP: sow at luthcad.UUCP
UUCP:  {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!luthcad!sow