rdump/Ultrix1.2 problem

Hurf Sheldon hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 5 04:19:03 AEST 1986

 	I have two uvaxen/ultrix1.2 and when attempting rdumps I get
remotehostname:host unknown as a response. We have both systems in /etc/hosts &
in /etc/hosts.equiv. - I have tried from su, root & a userid. Reading the
manual for gethostbyname it seems there is some ambiguity on the format for
the entry in /etc/hosts - ours is : network addres, alias, full name-
 ie: 128.84.253.20 ionvax ionvax.tn.cornell.edu - I have tried rearranging
that particular line to no avail. I am unsure if /.rhosts would play a role here & what the entry should be for doing this.

     Hurf Sheldon			Arpa.css: hurf at ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies
     369 Upson Hall			phone: 607 255 7267
     Cornell University