Any body know networks supported for sysV 3.0

Sam Lok ssl at ptsfa.UUCP
Wed Jul 30 03:17:15 AEST 1986

In article <540 at pyramid.UUCP> csg at pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>AT&T has been quite clear that the only physical network they will support
>(initially) in SVR3 is Starlan. No Ethernet, and no TCP/IP. As you can well
>imagine, this created quite a stew at the SVR3 product seminar. AT&T is
>expecting a "cottage" industry to arise to develop and market Streams-based
>protocol modules: TCP/IP, Token Ring, and what have you. Down the road, AT&T
>may buy some of the modules, or develop their own.
>
>AT&T has stated that an as-yet-unnamed ISV will announce the availability of
>TCP/IP protocol modules Real Soon Now.
>
>3bnet is going away completely as of SVR3, last I heard.

That's right, only Starlan is supported. As for Ethernet, the Bell
Lab folks would not comment on it couple weeks ago when I met with
them.

TCP/IP?  It's not part of SVR3, but read the following article,
it's extracted from AT&T Computer Newbits dated July 4, 1986:

"AT&T Enhanced TCP/IP/WIN/3B

 The AT&T Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/3B Interface is a full featured suite of
 applications protocols for users requiring high-level networking
 services such as mail, remote login, and file transfer between AT&T
 computers and other minicomputers that support the TCP?IP protocols.

 Lower Level Protocols: TCP/IP WIN/3B has been ported to AT&T 3B
 computers on top of the X.25 and Ethernet lower level protocols.

 .
 ..

 The Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/3B Interface will support both a Berkeley
 Sockets and an AT&T Transport Level Interface. ... "

But as for any vendors, wait till you see it to believe it!