Any body know networks supported for sysV 3.0

Jim Webb jrw at hropus.UUCP
Sun Jul 27 00:03:42 AEST 1986

> Granted, all of the STREAMS, RFS support and all, but, is ATT delivering any
> Transport-layer network support (i.e. ethernet, starlan, token-ring, etc...)
> in the 3.0 release of sysV?  I gather no!

I am 99 44/100 percent sure that the 3B2 SVR3 will support ethernet in the
form of 3bnet.  If AT&T drops this, no one around here will buy SVR3.

> I'm used to 4.2bsd and they, at least, deliver an ethernet driver and
> all of the stuff you need to talk to other machines providing that you
> have the supported hardware (3com, interlan, exelan).
                                     ^^^^^^^^

AT&T supports interlan boards under SVR2 for vaxen ethernet.  The software
emulates 3bnet, so one can easily interconnect 3b2s, 3b5s, and 3b20s to
vaxen.  I don't know if there are plans to port this package to SVR3, but
it is a source package if one is a hacker/porter.

AT&T has be quite, how should I say, inconsistent, in its support of
X25, but hopefully it will be included as yet another add-on package
in some form or another.
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"         ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw

"Research shows that disco music causes homosexuality in white mice" -- TIME