panic: iinit

Barry Shein bzs at BU-CS.BU.EDU
Sat Jul 26 07:49:18 AEST 1986

>From: john salmi <salmi%dicome.uucp at BRL.ARPA>
>...4)	attempt to boot from /dev/ra2a
>...5)	system gets to the point of single user mode prompt, and gets
>	a  ``panic: iinit''

Not certain but I would first check the config file and make sure
the 'vmunix root on ??? swap on ???' is rational, if it says
specifically ra0 I think the above is what you will get, use ra?
or gen a kernel for that partition or just switch the little plastic
unit plugs and try again and remember that the original root will
be ra2? and this one will now be ra0? (which is what I do.) If
you do the latter (plugs) you may want to dummy up /etc/fstab on
the spare root partition a bit so the names still match (actually,
if you go multi-user, you probably had better do that as /usr will
be wrong.) I suspect this is for single-user though, just as well.
[or should the error be 'panic: cannot mount root'?? oh well, just
guessing.]

	-Barry Shein, Boston University