Problem with csh;request for fix (L

lvs at ndm20 lvs at ndm20
Fri Jul 11 05:54:00 AEST 1986

> seems that csh can't deal with variable assignment when the value to assign
> to the variable has the meta characters [] or {} in it. However it seems
> that the bourne shell has no problems with it.  Reproduce with the following
> transcript of a csh session. My own comments are in ()'s and are not
> part of the xscript:
> [ various examples followed... ]

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-).  The c-shell does process the strings
for filename expansion, not when they are assigned, but when they are used
in a later expression, ie. echo.  The way to inhibit this activity is to use
the command

     set noglob

This will inhibit the c-shell from expanding filename metachars in your data.
To reenable the expansion, use

     unset noglob

That should be all you need.

Hope this helps,
Larry V. Streepy Jr.                        "Waiting is"
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers

VOICE:  (214)739-4741
Usenet: {seismo!c1east | cbosgd!sun | ihnp4}!convex!infoswx!ndm20!lvs
CSNET:  ndm20!lvs at smu
ARPA:   ndm20!lvs%smu at csnet-relay.ARPA