DBX bug in Ultrix 1.2

dlu%tektools.tek.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.arpa dlu%tektools.tek.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.arpa
Sat Jul 26 04:47:37 AEST 1986

Curiosity (or perversity) got me to try Gene's bug on a 780 running the
beta release of 4.3 and a 8650 running Ultrix 1.2, the results may shed
some light on the nature of the problem:

	On Ultrix I could reproduce Gene's results, however I don't
	think the problem is in dbx because an a.out produced on the
	4.3 system would produce the correct results with dbx.

	On 4.3 the program and dbx worked correctly but an a.out from
	the Ultrix system still showed the bug when run under the 4.3
	dbx.

Conculsion #1; dbx is not at fault.

By this point I was in pretty close to over my head, so I sought out the
advice of our (ex)compiler wizard, Carl Sutton, who suggested that we
compare the output of "cc -g -S".  We did and found them to be identical.

So Conclusion #2 is that the problem lies in the way that as or ld handles
the symbol table.

We didn't really have time to pursue this further, but I hope that this
information makes the problem easier to locate.

Doug Urner, dlu at tektronix