Any body know networks supported for sysV 3.0

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.UUCP
Tue Jul 29 19:07:53 AEST 1986

>> Granted, all of the STREAMS, RFS support and all, but, is ATT delivering any
>> Transport-layer network support (i.e. ethernet, starlan, token-ring, etc...)
>> in the 3.0 release of sysV?  I gather no!
>
>I am 99 44/100 percent sure that the 3B2 SVR3 will support ethernet in the
>form of 3bnet.

Then you are 99 44/100 percent wrong. :-)

AT&T has been quite clear that the only physical network they will support
(initially) in SVR3 is Starlan. No Ethernet, and no TCP/IP. As you can well
imagine, this created quite a stew at the SVR3 product seminar. AT&T is
expecting a "cottage" industry to arise to develop and market Streams-based
protocol modules: TCP/IP, Token Ring, and what have you. Down the road, AT&T
may buy some of the modules, or develop their own.

AT&T has stated that an as-yet-unnamed ISV will announce the availability of
TCP/IP protocol modules Real Soon Now.

3bnet is going away completely as of SVR3, last I heard.

<csg>