Any body know networks supported for sysV 3.0

mitchell at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU mitchell at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Jul 25 10:32:09 AEST 1986

HELLO:

Granted, all of the STREAMS, RFS support and all, but, is ATT delivering any
Transport-layer network support (i.e. ethernet, starlan, token-ring, etc...)
in the 3.0 release of sysV?  I gather no!

I'm used to 4.2bsd and they, at least, deliver an ethernet driver and
all of the stuff you need to talk to other machines providing that you
have the supported hardware (3com, interlan, exelan).

>From what I can obtain, I get that they are delivering sysV 3.0 with
lots of networking support, but nothng below and including the transport
layer.  So, I get 3.0 and I can't talk to anything else until I write or
buy my own transport support and the corrisponding hardware???

Please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me which networks are supported
or, if I'm right, tell me what transport I can buy.

Of particular interest is STARLAN, ethernet and any other net support
for the pc AT running INTERATIVES port of 3.0. any info on hardware
would be appreciated.

							Thanx

P.S. does anyone know what STARLAN is???  -> what will RFS be like running
on a STARLAN?  Our goal is to setup a sysV testbed on ATs via some lan.

please respond to --> Cadovax!mitchell at ucla-locus.arpa