Help with (proc table address == 0) in sVr2.1 kernel

Theodore Hope hope at gatech.CSNET
Wed Jul 23 00:28:36 AEST 1986

I am bringing up the System V release 2.1 kernel (and assorted utilities) on
a 3b2/300.  I have built the SGS (cc, ld, as, etc) and the entire kernel.
(By the way, release 2.1 has paging and streams but no remote file system.)
Everything seems to work fine, except that 'ps' won't work.  The problem is
the following:

	ps bitches with 'no namelist'.  After it does the 'nlist' to
	find the 'proc', 'swplo', and 'v' structures, the entry for the
	proc table returns with zero (!?).

	nm /unix | grep '^proc'  gives me, among other things, the entries

	  :
	proc	|	| strtag | ....	| ....
	  :
	proc	|      0| extern | ....	| .text		<<= !?!?!?!?
	  :

Why does the namelist contain a zero for the proc structure addr?  I have gone
over the entire kernel make process, and everything looks ok.  The actual
proc variable _is_ referenced in many places (such as os/clock.c, os/fork.c,
os/startup.c, etc) and therefore should contain a "reasonable" address in the
namelist.

I rebuilt the entire C library and SGS programs using themselves (i.e. the
new 2.1 version.)  The kernel runs fine, but I can't do a 'ps' for the
abovementioned reason.  This makes me wonder what else is "screwy" out
there.

Has ld gone crazy?  Is there some crazy incompatibility in the object format?
Any help or hints would be very much appreciated.  (I've spent the last four
days recompiling and recompiling ....)  Thanks in advance.

--
Theodore Hope
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332