SUN-3 messages - ie0: no carrier

John Bruner jdb at mordor.ARPA
Fri Jul 18 08:30:57 AEST 1986

We see a lot of "ie0: no carrier" messages here, too.  They occur on
multiple machines (perhaps all of our Sun 3's) at once.  Our Sun 2's,
VAXes, Integrated Solutions, VALIDs, LSI-11's, and miscellaneous
other machines NEVER experience trouble with the Ethernet.

For a while I suspected that the "no carrier" messages were
correlated with "panic: ifree: freeing free inode" crashes that
we experience on our Sun 3's (only) with annoying frequency.  These
crashes usually leave behind an inode with a too-small link count
(the actual number of links is greater than the link count) and
must be recovered manually.  I'm no longer as suspicious of the
role of the "no carrier" errors in these crashes, but I haven't
ruled it out yet.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb at mordor [jdb at s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758