Mine is smaller than yours

dmr at alice.UUCP dmr at alice.UUCP
Fri Feb 20 19:48:15 AEST 1987

An annotated transcript. D$ is my shell prompt:

1  D$ size /unix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   145792	50508	141784	338084	528a4
      # my machine (/unix) is a Ninth Edition 11/750 with few devices.

2  D$ size /n/alice/unix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   163936	58596	382244	604776	93a68
      # Alice is a big V9 785 with hundreds of users and lots of
      # devices.  I got its size by looking in its root directory,
      # which is mounted in /n/alice.

3  D$ rx research size unix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   154152	51860	222696	428708	68aa4
      # My machine supports Datakit; 'rx research size /unix' runs the
      # command remotely on research, another V9 Comet.

4  D$ rsh presto size /vmunix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   182708	71280	81888	335876	52004
      # My machine has TCP/IP; 'rsh presto size' runs the size
      # command on presto, another group's Vax, running 4.3 BSD.
      # Because I don't have an attached Ethernet, the
      # connection goes over Datakit to Research, which does have one,
      # and the IP code there gateways it onto the real Ethernet to presto.

5  D$ rx presto size /vmunix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   182708	71280	81888	335876	52004
      # Actually, I can use 'rx' whether the connection is Datakit or
      # Ethernet.  The server process that makes the connection figures
      # it out.  rx and rsh are the same file.

6  D$ size /n/3k/src/sys/3k/unix
   size: /n/3k/src/sys/3k/unix not an object file
      # The remote file system works on other machines too. 3k is a Cray
      # XMP; unfortunately, the Vax size command doesn't understand
      # its object file.  (Nor does the Vax understand /n/3k/bin/size.)

7  D$ rx 3k size /src/sys/3k/unix
   /src/sys/3k/unix:	228647 + 0 + 0 = 228647
      # But remote execution tells me the size.  (The number 228647 is
      # words (8 bytes each).  Well, it's a S/V system.)

8  D$ dkcc mhcc/mhuxh size /unix
   151164 + 36064 + 235672 = 422900
9  D$ rx purdy size /dynix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   247808	34816	59356	341980	537dc
10 D$ rx shamash size /vmunix
   text		data	bss	dec	hex
   398128	60224	60296	518648	7e9f8

      # Just showing off a little.  mhuxh is a S/V Vax (I think) in the
      # local comp center.  Connection is by Datakit, but I had to use
      # a special command; it's not integrated into rx.  Shamash is a
      # Sun.  The V9 remote file system server is usually running, but I
      # guess Peter forgot to start it.  Likewise for purdy, a Sequent.

I don't really know what it in BSD that makes it bigger when it
does less, and the Sun and the Sequent are amazing.  Incidentally,
I'm concerned only with text size, the first number.  The size command
is misleading for /*unix because some memory is dynamically allocated, and more
important, I'm willing to spend memory for buffers in order to get
performance, but less willing to put in code that has to be maintained
and understood.

The point is that it is possible to have multiple networks with varying
protocols, remote file systems that cross architectures, and remote
execution/login facilities that don't care what network they use,
good communication with systems that aren't controlled by you,
and still have a kernel that is not too chubby.

	Dennis Ritchie