Need man page for crypt()

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sat Feb 21 00:37:09 AEST 1987

In article <387 at nvanbc.UUCP>, lawrenc at nvanbc.UUCP (Lawrence Harris) writes:
> Guess what!  We here in Canada don't rate the crypt() function.

Wow.  How does your system encipher passwords (eg, in /etc/passwd)?
Ours [we are in Montreal (in Quebec)] uses

char *getnewpasswd(pwd,u)
/* ....assorted computation, eg, read pwbuf and generate saltc.... */
 return(crypt(pwbuf,saltc));

The source code to crypt has a (presumably truthful) comment at the top

/*
 * This program implements the
 * Proposed Federal Information Processing
 *  Data Encryption Standard.
 * See Federal Register, March 17, 1975 (40FR12134)
 */

Presumably whoever shipped us the tape was aware we are in Canada, so I
have to assume this was supposed to be supplied.

I really can't see any reason to try to forbid the export of crypt().
Any unfriendly power can certainly get a copy; if necessary they can
come to the US and print out the source (surely you don't think this
would be at all difficult).  It only makes things harder for friends
who try to stay aboveboard.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu